Peppermint is a type of hybrid aromatic herb, a crossbreed of watermint and spearmint. Originally from Europe and the Middle East, it has gained huge popularity over the years and has been used across the globe in many forms, such as tea, candy, a breath mint and not to mention, as an ingredient to various food preparations.
Although peppermint tea is majorly consumed because of its aroma and soothing flavour, many do not know about the immense health benefits it offers. In this article, we are going to elaborately demonstrate to you the marvel that peppermint is.
Why you should drink peppermint tea every day
Peppermint tea does wonders for your health. Even though the tea itself has not gone through a lot of scrutiny, the extract and the main ingredients of the herb have gone through quite a bit of scientific research owing to their wide-ranging qualities. All analyses unanimously concur with the fact that consuming peppermint extract every day not only gives you relief from a number of medical problems, but you can also keep the doctor away by drinking this tea every day.
Helps with stomach problems
Peppermint tea is miraculous for stomach issues.
- The main ingredient of this herb, menthol, cools your stomach and diminishes inflammation-causing stomach cramps. This is why peppermint tea is also highly recommended for women at the time of their menstrual period.
- Since it soothes the muscles in the gut, many doctors prescribe peppermint extract as a natural remedy for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) as well as constipation.
- It is very helpful with gas or bloating and diarrhea too.
Peppermint tea is treated in high regard when it comes to helping with digestive problems. The menthol in peppermint, apart from slackening the gut as mentioned earlier, increases bile and stimulates the secretion of stomach acids, in turn, assisting with digestion.
Fights respiratory diseases
Peppermint tea is amazing for treating respiratory diseases.
- Peppermint contains rosmarinic acid which aids in curing seasonal allergies like runny rose, asthma, and itchy eyes.
- Drinking a hot cup of peppermint tea works really well for a sore throat. It also mitigates cough by relaxing your throat muscles.
- Vapours from peppermint oil have antibacterial properties that heal respiratory infections.
Boosts immune system
Research shows peppermint tea makes your immune system thrive.
- Antioxidants in this herb speed up white blood cells circulation, thus strengthening the immune system to combat viruses and bacteria faster.
- Peppermint oil is proven to kill several bacteria that induce illness in humans, including staphylococcus and bacteria causing pneumonia.
Makes your breath minty fresh
You must have noticed how much peppermint extract is used in toothpaste, mouth-fresheners, chewing gums etc. All is because of its antibacterial properties. Peppermint oil inhibits the proliferation of staphylococci bacteria which attacks your gums. Plus, it fights off a lot other oral pathogens. Drink peppermint tea every day to keep your mouth healthy and your breath minty fresh.
Relieves stress and reduces migraine
Peppermint demonstrates a calming effect on the nervous system, hence easing certain kinds of headaches, especially those developed by stress and anxiety. More interestingly, peppermint extract is also known to soothe pain due to migraine.
Amplifies brain functions and helps you concentrate
Study shows that peppermint extract, in fact, simply the aroma of the extract helps improve cognitive functions in humans. Menthol, the main ingredient in peppermint, increases oxygen utilization by the brain which boosts alertness, resulting in a refreshed feeling as well as better thinking. People exposed to peppermint aroma attain higher attention span, learn faster, retain more, and overall, perform better than others.
Attenuates fatigue and daytime sleepiness
As a consequence of the better blood circulation in the brain induced by peppermint tea, along with enhancing brain performance, it has been shown to reduce the fatigue associated with them, and intensify the energy level in general. In addition, it is found to decrease daytime sleepiness and therefore scales up productivity.
Who should avoid peppermint extracts
Peppermint tea is a cure for many health problems, it is caffeine-free, and moreover, being extracted directly from nature, it has almost no side effects. However, it may cause some distress to people under certain circumstances or to ones with certain allergies. It is better to avoid products with peppermint in it if any of the following is true for you-
If you have heartburn
If you are suffering from acid reflux (heartburn) or GERD, peppermint tea is not for you. Given peppermint tea loosens the muscles in your gut, the sphincter muscle in the oesophagus relaxes too, letting the bile flow freely to your mouth. Your acid reflux will actually get worse if you intake this herb.
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- If you have a history of miscarriage, you should definitely avoid peppermint tea during pregnancy. Even if you do not have such a history, over-consumption of this herb may slacken your uterus too much, raising the chances of miscarriage.
- Peppermint oil can also cause breathing problems in infants, therefore you should keep off of this tea in case you are breastfeeding.
If you are already under medication for a serious illness
Peppermint extract can react with drugs designed to treat acid reflux as well as those for blood pressure and diabetes. So it is always smart to consult your doctor before starting off with this therapy if you are going through treatment for a serious illness.
Peppermint tea is a naturally sweet, caffeine-free beverage. Together with the extensive list of health benefits of it mentioned here, it not only has a zero-calorie intake but is said to diminish your appetite. So it is remarkably effective for weight-reduction and following a diet. Nonetheless, pure products are really rare nowadays. So for best results, you should buy herbal tea like this only from an authentic tea shop and follow the instructions on the box for the perfect brewed tea experience.